August 21, 2017

Compilation Album Review: "Smash Hits '93"


Compilation: Smash Hits '93
Released: 1993 – Columbia
Number of tracks: 19
Number one singles: 3 — "Mr. Vain" by Culture Beat, "All That She Wants" by Ace Of Base", "You Don't Treat Me No Good" by Sonia Dada
Other top ten singles: 12
Best track: "Ebeneezer Goode" by The Shamen
Hidden gem: None, because I've heard them all.

Five months ago, I got The Best Of 100% Hits 93 and here's the Smash Hits equivalent (hey guys, '93' should have an apostrophe). I'm not going to compare the two, but it's obvious this comp is geared towards a pop-loving teen-idol audience, hence the inclusion of Jeremy Jordan, Dannii, Toni Pearen and a couple of other sad tossers. But from a chart performance point of view, 15 of the 19 songs here hit the top ten. Even "Stone Cold" by Jimmy Barnes which I have no memory of how it sounds.

Essential tracks on here are the opener "Mr. Vain", "Ebeneezer Goode" of course and 2 Unlimited's "No Limit", an ace techno anthem if ever there was one. I also liked, and still do, "Jump Around" by House Of Pain which deserved a higher chart peak than number 15. It has outlasted most of the other songs on here in terms of its presence in popular culture, so that reflects rather well on House Of Pain and their 'fine malt lyrics' [sic], I guess.

I also rather enjoy the world music/chillout tune "Sweet Lullaby" by Deep Forest and its Solomon Island native's vocals. Did they pay that person, I wonder?

I had forgotten that Terence Trent D'Arby (who has gone by the name Sananda Maitreya since 2001) reached number 9 with "She Kissed Me". I'd forgotten about this song, but it's really rather good. And even though it's cheesy with some rather naff lyrics, "Rump Shaker" by Wreckx-N-Effect is a guilty pleasure as well – but I wish it had more bass to it. It's a booty tune, dammit!

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment