May 19, 2019

Eurovision Results Map 2019


I got up at 5am to watch the Eurovision final (now in its 64th year, as my stats map says) live from Tel Aviv, and once again it didn't disappoint. I thought the stage designers in Israel were going to follow Portugal's lead following their understated set in Lisbon last year, but no, it was more elaborate and startling than ever. Six billion pixels on those video screens!!!

Australia were invited to perform for the 5th time, and we did pretty well this year, coming 9th overall. I actually thought Kate Miller-Heidke's song "Zero Gravity" was the best of the lot, even without that frankly terrifying swaying-on-a-bendy-pole routine – I don't know how Kate managed to sing while doing that, especially with the vocal technique that she has. Shot outs also to Lake Malawi from Czech Republic and Leonora from Denmark – two more numbers I really did like (they finished 11th and 12th, respectively).

I was disappointed none of those three won – or placed in the top 5, which they deserved – but at least the winner, Duncan Laurence (gee, what a stereotypical Dutch name that is eh), was somebody who managed to break one of Eurovision's longest winning droughts. And so...The Netherlands were the winners, with their 5th win to date and their first since 1975!

No comments:

Post a Comment