June 2, 2022

China 5's 20th Anniversary!

It was 20 years ago today that I started China 5, my alternative/electronica music project. I was living in Japan at the time, and had to find an outlet for all the bleep-pop Fruityloops stuff I was doing on my little Fujitsu Biblo laptop. China 5 was only intended to exist for one album (a soundtrack to a video game that didn't exist), however it lasted ten whole albums (Paradise, Battery, Hypnotist, Republic, Quarantine, Safari, Widdershins, Tigerbear, Confusion and Anarchy) and a few collaborators before I decided to retire it in 2020. Goodbye, we are gone, see you later, see you never...

Here's a video I made for a song called "Brain" which appears on the final album, Anarchy. It was created back in 2020 using the Chrome Music Lab, a website that lets you experiment with making songs and whatnot. That's where I nicked the graphics from, as you can probably tell. As it turned out, "Brain" was the very last China 5 song to be recorded! It's only 35 seconds long, so as the concluding entry in the canon, it's quite satisfying.


I was about to add that "Brain" is also the last China 5 video too, but that's not quite true – I was working on another video after that, and had most of the footage for it, but never finished editing it. Oh well. If I ever get round to finishing it, you'll see it right here.

No comments:

Post a Comment