April 16, 2010

Airbury Panels – Bear Joke

I was a bit annoyed the other day when a talkback caller on some naff AM radio show described a certain TV personality as a 'genius'. How can you be called a genius just by reading corny jokes off an autocue? Then I read about some overrated fashion model also being labelled a 'genius'. I guess it takes a sky-high IQ to stand around in front of a camera looking drugged. Well, if everyone's bandying the word 'genius' around at the drop of a hat, then I may as well too.
This is genius:
If you don't know what that is, tough. Now, here's another finished panel from an upcoming Airbury Academy story for 2010, titled Cologne.
This actually refers to a real-life story, where a teddy bear kept getting stuffed into the bag of a guy in my graphic design class, who later took revenge by writing a fake love letter and putting it into the bag of the person he thought was responsible (and who actually wasn't, as it turned out). Here we see Jezebel seeing the bear for the first time.
This joke probably wouldn't have worked with any other character. Jezebel then writes her fake love letter, even saying "When will you learn" as she writes it, as the guy in my class did. In the whole series so far none of her schemes have ever worked out, so I let her have this small one. This isn't one of the best drawings of Jezebel, so I'll show you more of her later.

No comments:

Post a Comment