November 8, 2010

We Must Repeat!

Hey, I just redesigned the masthead; like it?

Our theme for the month of November 2010 is 'We must repeat': in other words, look back to the past and re-interpret it for the future. 'Repurposing', as those chin-stroking tosswinkles at Thr**dl*ss call it.

© SEGA 1994

I can't remember who sent me this, but it was before I got a Mac, so that person is probably dead. Anyway, it's obviously a scan from a Korean magazine. This is a piece of promo artwork for Sega's video game Sonic The Hedgehog 3, released February 2, 1994 and quite a remarkable piece of colour styling and airbrushing as well as character design (this is probably the best official drawing of Tails out of them all!).

I'm assuming this artwork was done in Japan because Yuji Naka wanted an all-Japanese team working on Sonic 3, despite the fact that 1992's multi-million-selling Sonic 2 featured level art done by American artists to give the game a more 'international' look. Oh well, the dude gets what he wants.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, and so is using terms like 'uber'.
    You're right, it is the American art. Apologies to Yasushi Yamaguchi (the creator of Tails).

    I dunno why Samsung is there, Other Person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a cool poster but I don't like how his third finger just looks stuck on.

    Likin' the new banner Pete!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Chris, I can see you commented early in the morning as well!

    Yeah, I think it would be better if they had only drawn Sonic with three fingers. I think he's making the same gesture on the Europe/Australasian cover, but this looks better.

    ReplyDelete