July 27, 2010

The Road Message Mystery

Here's a mystery to boggle even the most hardworking minds:

I took these photos on July 22, 2004. Several months before that, someone painted (i.e. with a brush) a bizarre message on the road not far from where I lived, in the Perth suburbs of Manning/Como (I'm giving both suburb names because this road, Ley Street, is the boundary between the two suburbs). It was blacked out, but after several months of traffic the message began to reveal itself again.

As you can see, the writing stretches almost all the way across the road. I can only make out the last part of the message, which says:

"DISREGARD THAT
PAPAL BULL!
I DO!!! ('do' is underlined twice)
(picture of a cross) CHRIS CROSS (VERY!)
JUMP!"

I have no idea what this means. It sounds like a swipe at Catholics and a reference to these teenage rappers' hit song from 1992.
Okay, so these photos were taken six years ago. What does Ley Street, Manning/Como look like now? With Google Street View, we can check it out.

Ley Street isn't much of a busy road. I have to wonder why the writer chose this location for his message; it just has houses on one side and an empty field on the other. You can see that the road now has that stupid 'strip' thing down the middle that serves no purpose at all.

This Google Street View image is taken from the same point of view as my photos from 2004, using telegraph pole as a reference. No sign of the message at all. Just a bus stop that wasn't there before and someone's van. Well, I doubt we'll ever get to the bottom of this mystery but if you've got anything to add, comment below. You might just restore sanity to the residents of Ley Street.

No comments:

Post a Comment