August 7, 2010

The End Of Nonesuch Design

Wow, the previous post racked up a whopping 8 comments! Sure, two of them are mine and the rest are a couple of idiots arguing, but it's still an entertaining read. But enough about that – it's time I posted something for August. And it ain't good.


After using the name Nonesuch Design for two years, the various little Hitlers and tin-gods that make the rules have informed me that I can no longer use the name. Why? Because someone registered the name several years ago, and let it expire. So using it as a legit name is now a no go area. Off-limits. Verboten.

I suppose this blog will still keep its name though (can't change the URL now). It takes me forever to think of names for things. Sometime in the late '90s I originally started using the name Half Baked Productions (because one of the bricks in my driveway was a different colour), but people thought that was amateurish. So I changed it to Starlight Division, but people thought it sounded like Starlight Foundation, which is some childrens' charity. Then in 2006 it became Nonesuch Cartoons before becoming Nonesuch Design in 2008. And no one could fault that because no one knew what 'nonesuch' meant.

Well, I'd better go throw out my 150-odd business cards and trash all my letterhead and self-promo designs which all featured the old logo, and take another two years trying to think of a new name. Suggest a new name for me if you want. Or don't, I don't really give a stuff. Perhaps this photo of protesters in Iceland sums up how I feel at this point.

4 comments:

  1. Yes it does Angelo. Well I really like Brisbane, but you guys are subject to the same small business rules as the rest of us. Oh sure, the government will make you fork over part of your income from when you start working to the day you die, but when you need some assistance from them over the phone they couldn't be less interested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say, as heartbreaking as this article is, the two images you've included made me LOL quite hard.

    ....but Nonesuch blog will continue on it's merry well if I'm not mistaken?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blog will be sure to continue Chris, maybe under a slightly altered title if I can design a new header.
    I like the 2nd pic too. It was on a German guy's blog and nicked with pride by me.

    ReplyDelete