May 1, 2017

Brunswick

Following on from yesterday's post about the Homecooked Comics Mini-Mart, I thought I'd post a selection of photos from the streets (Sydney Rd and Victoria St, to be precise) of Brunswick. I've lived in Melbourne for 12 years now, and this was the first time I had been to Brunswick. So, what did we find?

Well, firstly and quite surprisingly, the suburb of Brunswick has a 'sister city' relationship with the Greek city of Sparta, and one of Brunswick's streets bears its name. The ancient Spartan king Leonidas is commemorated in statue here. I had to slightly move the floral wreath someone had placed, so I could get the plaque in shot.



Two views of a hand-painted signal box on the street corner – a bit of street art done by primary school kids. You can make out the name 'St. Joseph's' and the initials of what I assume are the contributors.


I like photographing old, faded hand-painted signage, and this 'Nestlé's Chocolate' above a shop is a fine example.


Near the Blyth St intersection, a shop called 'Mary Eats Cake'. I'm sure she does. 


A closeup of a shop front's decorative tiles, and what look like two bullet holes. I'm sure they're not though.


Putting stickers on things is much more preferable to graffiti, kids.


This was in a shop window. Interesting.


More of the same tiles further down the road. Perhaps these shop fronts were all tiled at the same time. 'NO POSTERS' warns a handwritten sticker. Better do as it says.


Last of all, a nice lighting display in a shop selling...I forget now. Perhaps Middle Eastern craft items.


One more thing about Brunswick: for some reason it was the suburb whose name was chosen to be the largest on the fabric design that now graces some of Melbourne's train seats. Why? Us mere mortals shall never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment