May 1, 2010

Constantinople

People say to me, "Hey Pete (or Jim, or Bill or whatever they tend to call me), you've led a pretty interesting life. Why don't you tell some of your real-life adventures in comic form?" And I reply, "Ah, go peddle your dumb ideas some place else."

But finally, it is time for an autobiographical graphic novel. I've begun working on it and it's looking promising. The title of it is:


Who's John Katz? Well, I've had to use a pseudonym in case any of the people in this comic (who have also had their names changed), recognize themselves and fly over from Perth to beat me up. The little pencil guy in the above image is me. In every scene I'm about half as tall as the other characters; I get to milk some great comedy out of that one idea.

How true will it be? I was bored enough to keep a journal during my years at uni, which is where most of the material comes from. I was pretty good at remembering people's quotes word for word, so the dialogue is legit. The characters and locations look as I remember them.

Here are the first two pages of the 'drug house' scene. You'll notice that all the backgrounds are grey. That's intentional, only the characters are coloured. Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. great job pete! i liked it ! exspecially about the girl name maggie! :)) it was very creative , it even had me laughing!! would love to see more ... keep at it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot Amy, good to see some positive feedback about it! You're a fan of Maggie, huh? :)

    ReplyDelete