May 20, 2010

A Small Boat

On Saturday, May 15, thousands of people packed into Sydney Harbour to see 16 year old Jessica Watson return after circumnavigating the world. My vantage point was close to North Head in the Sydney suburb of Vaucluse. When Jessica's boat finally crossed the heads, it was hard to make out amongst all the other boats (this is a massively zoomed-in shot, so it looks like crud):


A sky-writing plane had written this message earlier, but I can't read what it says. Something-'live'. I've turned the photo upside down. Any ideas?


The next day I went to Darling Harbour and Jessica's boat happened to be moored there, surrounded by news crews and hundreds of photo-takers. I was surprised the boat is only 10.5 metres long – to think she spent seven months on it. I'm sure there were plenty of naysayers, but the impression I got was that most people were proud of what Jessica did, a courageous feat at a time when people are taking fewer and fewer risks in the world.


To finish up, here's a shot of a road sign somewhere on the Hume Highway in rural Victoria. I think it's awesome that someone named a town Dookie. Did they know what it means as a slang term? If you look closely you'll see that the 'Dookie' part is on a separate piece of metal stuck on to the main one. Perhaps the town was called something else before? And what was it? Some things will have to remain unknown.


To all the fine citizens of Dookie, Victoria: Nonesuch Blog salutes you!

No comments:

Post a Comment